Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Austin Reggae Fest



One of the key things I learned this semester is that stories and characters are all around us. They can unfold anywhere and at any time. I was kicking myself for not having my camera when I went to see Turk Pipkin's "One Peace At A Time", and after walked out to find the SWAT situation at the Apple Bar. So after recently acquiring my new camera I made the conscience decision to bring it to events that I had not planned on filming..because you never know what might unfold. It's hard to turn off the filmmaker frame of mind, and most of the time one cannot capture a certain moment because they don't have a camera. Well now I have the opportunity to film whenever I want, and i took advantage of that during the recent Austin Reggae Festival. I wish i had some interviews...but most people did not want to be on camera..so it was definitely run and gun filming.

1 comment:

  1. haha, josh. i really, really liked this. i absolutely, completely know what you mean when you said that it's hard to turn off the filmmaker frame of mind. i think it's almost impossible for me to listen to a story, meet a new person, read an article, etc. and not think to myself, "hmm...this could be a documentary!" (even if no, it probably couldn't and maybe shouldn't, haha). but i love it. i really do. you know your passion is at the forefront when you look around you and see things so much differently than you did before, even if it is through the perspective of a dreaming documentary filmmaker. i've always been under the belief that everyone has a story (or even something to offer me personally), every event has a backstory, and so on, but now i recognize that these stories should be put to film. and it is our duty to do this. and you, my friend, are doing just that with this video and i'm sure many, many more to come. so yeah, keep filming. let's make a collection.

    ReplyDelete