Friday, May 8, 2009

Favorite

I don't believe in picking favorites, but I'll blog anything that will credit me with two blog posts. It's so efficient.

I was glad I got to meet and speak with every one of the guests who came in to class. Each talk was informative in different ways, and each was inspiring. The thing I took away from them, collectively, was that you really have to hustle to make it happen.

Peter Esmonde, cynical as he may have been, stands out for his dedication to the artistry that is part of our craft. John Fiege was super sharp, and it's nice to know he's applying his considerable powers to the types of projects he seems to be motivated by. Michael Scott had quite a story for us, which is espescially inspiring to hear from such a recent graduate. But it was Bradley Beasley who captured my attention more than any of them, if I must pick one.

"Little Boy Blue," that still cracks me up. I appreciate those who don't mind breaking the rules, because screw the rules. I also appreciate those who do what they have to do, even if it is reality TV. Beaseley certainly seems to be hustling, and I was impressed with his plan to use his short documentary as nothing more than a promotional piece. That's not exactly what I see myself doing, mind you, but I like the ingenuity of it. He's still selling noodling t-shirts. Come on. He's got keen eyes: one of them is a cinematographer's and the other is a business man's.

No comments:

Post a Comment