Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Most Inspirational Speakers

I had a hard time decided one individual that motivated me this semester. I decided that Bradley Beesley and Michel Scott were the two that ensured my colligate career choice was the right one. I respect Brad because he not only does documentaries, but he participates and produces a lot of other non-fiction motion-picture works. I am a musician myself, and I believe that film and video can really accent the artistic beauty of audio. Brad has developed an amzaing outlet for music and docs due to his fortunate group of friends, stern decision making, and a passion and natural ability to take a subject some would see as dull and make it soooo badass. He did a great job of portraying how crazy the industry can be at times, but he did it in a fashion that didn't scare me away like other speakers have in the past. Whatever documentaries I am working on, I try to get intimately involved in my subject. Putting yourself in other peoples lives in an active manner allows you to gain an insane amount of knowledge on your subject, gain the necessity of trust with individuals, get access to materials that others wouldn't even know about, and ultimately receiving the greatest filmmaking experience that you can.

I enjoyed Michel just as much. His past experience of experimental filmmaking really drew me in and interested me because it allows filmmakers to portray themselves as a subject. We work on documentaries that are about other people and shaped accordingly to the filmmaker's experience, but experimental art like Michels really allowed me to get a glimse of where he was coming from....and I really enjoyed that. I guess the most important thing was that Michel truly inspired me. He is a young male that has recently graduated from the same institution I am currently in. He did some small work out of college, but then an oppourtunity arised, he felt really drawn to the subject, and the next thing he knows his film is in sundance. I see myself as the same type of person. I like taking adventures no matter how dangerous or potentially unsuccessful they might be. If an oppourtunity arises that you know no one else has had, you better plan a little, get a small crew if needed, research quickly, mentally and physically prepare yourself, and then saddle up and get the shit done. I relaly just admired Michel's attitude about his whole expereince. He didn't try to blow things out of the water when he told us about his journey. He mentioned the difficulties of filming off of a horse and the hardships that any filmshoot has, but he said just enough so that when he finally did see the film, our minds ran wild with questions like, "How did he get that shot?" , "How the hell did they get that good of sound in that situation?" , "How is he capturing these great moments with his subjects?", and "How is it possible for somone so young in the industry to make a piece like this?

Michel and Brad's styles of filmmaking have truly inspired me. They make me feel comfortable with my style of filmmaking, because I have heard these talented individuals who have found unique subjects, made some sacrifices, had some guts in tough situations, made a great product, and had one hell of a time doing it!

I cannot wait to hear more of Spiro's alumni speaking in the future to kids who are picking up a camera for their first time today.


Thank you to all who have allowed us to enjoy and learn from these professionals

No comments:

Post a Comment